Occupations and businesses involved in the use of pesticides must be licensed by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA).

You need a fumigator licence to use products containing:

  • 1, 3-dichloropropene
  • chloropicrin
  • dazomet
  • ethanedinitrile
  • ethyl formate
  • ethylene oxide (except single-dose canisters)
  • metham sodium
  • methyl bromide
  • any product that liberates phosphine gas
  • potassium-monomethyl dithiocarbamate
  • sulfuryl fluoride.

Working in NSW with an interstate licence

Under the Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) scheme, holders of certain interstate licences can work automatically in NSW but must notify the licence regulator of their intention to work.


You must be 18 years or older.

To obtain a fumigator licence, you must complete training that includes one of the following core competencies within the CPP Property Services Training Package:

  • CPPUPM3011 Manage organisms by applying fumigants to commodities and environments, or
  • the superseded unit, CPPPMT3011 Manage organisms by applying fumigants to commodities and environments.

Fumigator licence training requirements were updated in May 2020. Previous training based on earlier competencies from the CPP Property Services Training Package (formerly the PRM04 Asset Management Training Package) is also acceptable, but you must have completed both of the following superseded competencies:

  • CPPPMT3006A Apply pesticides to manage pests, or CPPUPM3006 Manage pests by applying pesticides, and
  • CPPPMT3011A Conduct fumigation.

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • a copy of your identification (driver licence or passport)
  • the name of your registered training organisation
  • a passport size photo
  • your method of payment.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Select 'Register to start a new application'.
  3. After registering, you will receive an email with login details and an application code.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete your application.

More information

  • If you'd also like to apply for a pest management technician licence, add that licence type to your application.
  • The licence is valid for 5 years.
  • Pest management technicians must comply with the notification and record keeping requirements of the NSW Pesticide Regulation 2009 and ensure that work practices minimise risk of harm to the community and the environment.
Last updated: 2 July 2024

Rate the information on the page