Declared and undeclared areas

Prior to applying for a learner or provisional licence, motorcycle riders must undertake the relevant training course, if an approved course provider is in their area.

To this purpose:

  • a declared area refers to an area where motorcycle rider training is available
  • an undeclared area refers to an area where there are no training providers within a reasonable distance of you.

Most NSW city and regional postcodes are considered to be in declared areas.

Check the list of motorcycle rider training providers and if you cannot find one within a practicable distance of where you live, call TfNSW on 13 22 13,


To get a learner rider licence in a declared area, you must first attend a pre-learner training course.

After successfully completing the course, you'll be issued with a pre-learner certificate of competence.

You then need to visit a Service NSW Centre with your certificate, and sit the rider knowledge test. This must be done within 3 months of completing your course.

You can book the rider knowledge test through Online Services. Once you've passed the test you're able to apply for your learner rider licence.

When you visit the service centre to take your test, you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time if you wish, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.

There is now a trike-only training and testing pathway for customers to get a licence to ride a trike. For further information, visit Riding a trike on NSW Roads.


To apply for a learner rider licence you must:

  • be aged 16 years and 9 months, or over
  • have successfully completed your pre-learner rider training course
  • pass the rider knowledge test.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'
  • your NSW Photo Card (if you have one) or:
  • your pre-learner certificate of competence
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • a completed medical report (if applicable)

  • a current concession card (if applicable)

  • your method of payment.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a NSW Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Make sure that you have all the necessary documentation, including your pre-learner certificate of competence.
  4. Visit a service centre to sit the rider knowledge test and lodge your licence application.

More information

  • You must have your pre-learner certificate of competence before you can sit the rider knowledge test.
  • You can practise for the rider knowledge test online.
  • A learner rider licence is valid for 12 months.
  • For rider licence applications a receipt is provided which allows you to ride until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • When you apply for a licence card or NSW Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • The NSW Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to riding/driving.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 6 November 2023