Declared and undeclared areas

Before applying for a learner or provisional rider licence, you must complete the relevant training course, if an approved course provider is in your area.

To this purpose:

  • a declared area refers to an area where motorcycle rider training is available
  • an undeclared area refers to an area where there are no training providers within a reasonable distance of you.

Most NSW city and regional postcodes are considered to be in declared areas.

Check the list of motorcycle rider training providers and if you cannot find one within a practicable distance of where you live, call TfNSW on 13 22 13,


If you live in an undeclared area you need to visit a Service NSW Centre in order to be issued with your learner rider licence.

At the service centre, you'll be asked to complete a rider knowledge test and an eyesight test. The knowledge test can be booked online.

You can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time if you wish, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.


To apply for a learner rider licence in an undeclared area, you must:

  • be aged 16 years and 9 months, or over
  • pass the rider knowledge test.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'
  • your NSW Photo Card (if you have one), or:
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)

  • a completed medical report (if applicable)

  • a current concession card (if applicable)

  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a NSW Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre to sit the rider knowledge test and lodge your application.

More information

  • All learner riders in NSW are encouraged to complete pre-learner rider training courses.
  • You can practise for the rider knowledge test online.
  • A learner rider licence is valid for 12 months.
  • For rider licence applications a receipt is provided which allows people to  ride until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • When you apply for a licence card or NSW Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost, generally within 5 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 days, call us on 13 77 88.
  • The NSW Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to riding/driving.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 6 November 2023

Rate the information on the page