If you want to transport explosives or security sensitive dangerous substances (SSDS), you’ll need a licence issued by SafeWork NSW.

The licence allows you to possess, transport and store the materials specified on the licence.

The licence can be issued to you or to a nominated person on behalf of a company.


You must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • hold a current security clearance and be able to ensure only people with a security clearance have unsupervised access to explosives and SSDS
  • have a legitimate reason for transporting SSDS
  • have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives and/or SSDS.

What you need

  • completed PDF form – 'Licence to transport explosives and or security sensitive dangerous substances application' 
  • supporting documents as listed on the form
  • the application fee.

Also refer to SafeWork's information about transporting explosives for additional information you may need to provide.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete the form and submit your application at an Australia Post office.

More information

  • The nominated person for a company must be involved in the management of the company. If that person ceases to be the nominated person (for example, if they resign) the company must nominate another person to take responsibility for the licence within 7 days.
  • If you're lodging your application for an SC licence at the same time, it will have to be approved before your transport licence application will be processed.
Last updated: 28 November 2023