If you want to transport native animals into and out of NSW, you'll need to apply for a native animal import/export licence. You can apply for this licence online.


Licences are granted under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016.

The import/export licences are generally granted:

  • to licensed NSW animal keepers and animal dealers to facilitate interstate dealing
  • for the interstate movements of native animals used for scientific research and those held by wildlife rehabilitation groups, zoos, wildlife parks and tourist attractions.

To make sure you have all the information and documents you need to complete this transaction, visit the Department of Planning and Environment.

What you need

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather the required information.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in or create an account.
  5. Follow the prompts to apply for a native animal import/export licence.

Payment methods

You can pay online by credit or debit card (Mastercard or Visa).

Note: A discount applies to online applications.

Last updated: 18 June 2024

Rate the information on the page