You can apply for a provisional P1 driver licence if you've held a NSW learner licence for the required period of time, and passed the necessary tests. You can also apply if you've passed the driving test as a holder of an interstate learner licence, provisional licence or an overseas licence.
Applications for the licence are made at a service centre, and if you wish you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.
- be at least 17 years of age
- have held a learner licence for at least 12 months (if you're aged between 17 and 24)
- have logged the required driving hours
- have passed the Hazard Perception Test (HPT).
If you're 25 or older you can attempt the HPT and driving test at any time after obtaining your learner licence.
Note: If you live with disability, make sure you've talked with your doctor about a possible Occupational Therapist driving assessment before you apply for your P1 licence at the service centre. You may be eligible to undertake a Disability driving test.
What you need
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
- Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
- Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- You mustn't use any function of a mobile phone while you're driving or riding. This includes when you're waiting at lights, or stuck in traffic, and means texting, hands-free, speaker mode and GPS functions. The only time you can use your mobile is when you're safely parked out of the line of traffic.
- If you're aged between 17 and 24 you must have held your learner licence for at least 12 months, but you're allowed to attempt the HPT after 10 months.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
- Renewal notices are posted generally within six weeks of the card's expiry date.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.