Before applying for a NSW RSA photo competency card you must complete an online NSW RSA bridging course if you:
- hold an RSA qualification from Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia or Tasmania
- you have moved, or are moving, to NSW permanently from another state or territory
- you intend to work permanently in NSW to sell, serve or supply alcohol in NSW.
Note: If you hold a current interstate RSA certification you may be able to work temporarily in NSW. For information or to see if you are eligible please visit Liquor & Gaming NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol.
When you successfully complete the course, you receive a NSW RSA bridging course completion certificate. You need this certificate to apply for your NSW RSA competency card.
It is not an interim certificate and does not allow you to serve alcohol in licensed venues in NSW.
You receive your RSA bridging course interim certificate after you've applied for your competency card. The interim certificate allows you to work in relevant roles for 90 days from the date of issue. After that time you must use your competency card.
Once you have your competency card you can access it digitally using your mobile phone or tablet device. You'll need a MyServiceNSW Account and the latest version of the Service NSW app. You can then link your MyServiceNSW Account to Liquor & Gaming NSW.
You must have :
- successfully completed the NSW RSA bridging course
- received your RSA bridging course completion certificate
- not applied for a NSW RSA photo competency card before.
- for applicants from Victoria, one of the following (issued within 3 years prior to completing the NSW bridging course):
- your RSA certificate, or
- your RSA refresher certificate.
- for applicants from the ACT, one of the following (issued within 3 years prior to completing the NSW bridging course):
- a national RSA Statement of Attainment
- your USI Transcript, or
- your RSA refresher certificate.
- for applicants from any other Australian state or territory, one of the following (issued within 5 years of completing the NSW bridging course):
- a national RSA Statement of Attainment, or
- your USI Transcript.
What you need
- your NSW RSA bridging course completion certificate issued by Liquor & Gaming NSW
- your current interstate RSA certificate issued by an approved training provider, or
- your USI Transcript including Unit of Competency SITHFAB002 or Unit of Competency SITHFAB201
- your 100 points of ID documents – see the back of the course completion certificate for acceptable document types.
- your personal details on the course completion certificate must match your ID – minor discrepancies like spelling errors or typos can be amended at Service NSW.
If you've changed your name from what is shown on your identity documents, you'll also need to provide proof of your name change, such as:
- Australian marriage certificate (Registry issued)
- overseas marriage certificate (with official translation)
- change of name certificate (Registry issued)
- proof of divorce (Family Court).
How to apply
- Successfully complete the online bridging course.
- Get your course completion certificate.
- Gather your original identity documents and interstate RSA qualification document.
- Visit a Service NSW Centre to have your photo taken and submit your application.
- Your photo competency card will be mailed to your nominated address within 4 weeks of submitting your application.
- You must submit your own application in person – other people can’t apply for you.
- The cost of the competency card is included in the fee you pay for the RSA bridging course.