Unemployed apprentices who've found a new employer in NSW, but will need to relocate more than 60kms in order to continue the apprenticeship, may be able to get financial assistance from the Continuing Apprentices/Trainees Placement Scheme (CAPS).

If you're eligible you can claim relocation and rental assistance.

You must submit your claims within 3 months of the start of your new training contract.


To be eligible you must:

  • have been registered in NSW as an apprentice or new entrant trainee under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001
  • have registered with CAPS
  • be unemployed and recommencing your apprenticeship
  • be relocating more than 60kms from your previous place of residence in order to continue your apprenticeship.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'CAPS relocation and rental assistance application'
  • a copy of your rental lease
  • all receipts relating to your relocation such as:
    • removalist expenses
    • petrol
    • bus or rail tickets
    • bond and rental expenses
  • your bank account details for payment.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Gather your supporting documentation.
  4. Lodge your application using the details on the form.

More information

  • The relocation allowance is a payment to reimburse your out-of-pocket expenses for the cost of moving house.
  • The rental allowance covers the costs of a rental bond (equivalent to a maximum of 4 weeks of rent) plus 2 weeks rent. It's not paid until after your new training contract has been approved and registered.
  • Visit Travel, accommodation and relocation assistance packages for apprentices for more detailed information.
Last updated: 19 April 2024

Rate the information on the page