Text size


A conveyancer licence allows you to do legal work in relation to property transactions such as a sale or lease of land, or the granting of a mortgage.

If you want to apply for an individual conveyancer licence, and are seeking mutual recognition of your existing interstate or New Zealand conveyancing licence, you can do so online.


To be eligible, you need to:

What you need

Proof of identity documents

Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian travel visa
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian certificate of registration by descent
  • ImmiCard.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather your certificates and other documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  5. Follow the prompts to apply for a conveyancer licence. 

If you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download, print and complete the Application for an individual conveyancer licence – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have the required documentation, and then visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • When applying for mutual recognition of an interstate or New Zealand conveyancer licence, you do not need to provide details of your qualifications, previous work experience, or nominate a referee, as part of your application for an individual conveyancer licence in NSW.
  • Licensed conveyancers must be covered by an approved policy of professional indemnity insurance when they work. A licensee can take out their own insurance policy, or they may be covered by their employer’s policy.
  • A person must not conduct a conveyancing business for fee or reward unless the person is the holder of a conveyancer's licence.  (This does not apply to a person who is a solicitor or a barrister with a current practising certificate, or someone who conducts their conveyancing work in an incorporated legal practice, if that conveyancing work is overseen a barrister or solicitor.)
  • To make an application for an individual conveyancer licence in NSW without mutual recognition of an interstate or New Zealand conveyancer licence, visit Apply for a conveyancer licence – individual.

Payment methods

A list of payment options is available on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 17 May 2023