A conveyancer licence allows you to do legal work in relation to property transactions such as a sale or lease of land, or the granting of a mortgage.

If you want to apply for an individual conveyancer licence, you can do so online.


To be eligible, you need to:

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
    • you can create one when you start your application
    • you may need details from 2 identity documents (such as Australian driver licence, Medicare card, passport)
  • copies of your qualifications in PDF or JPG format
  • details of your previous conveyancing work experience
  • the name and contact details of a referee regarding your work experience.  You must seek their consent before providing their details to us.
  • completed copies of the following forms, if applicable, in PDF or JPG format:
  • your contact details
  • if you intend to trade under a business name, a copy of your Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) business name certificate in PDF or JPG format
  • a current credit card for payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather your supporting documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Follow the prompts to apply for a conveyancer licence.

If you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download, print and complete Application for an individual conveyancer licence – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have the required supporting documentation, and then visit a service centre to submit your application.

More information

  • Licensed conveyancers must be covered by an approved policy of professional indemnity insurance when they work. A licensee can take out their own insurance policy, or they may be covered by their employer’s policy.
  • A person must not conduct a conveyancing business for fee or reward unless the person is the holder of a conveyancer's licence. (This does not apply to a person who is a solicitor or a barrister with a current practising certificate, or someone who conducts their conveyancing work in an incorporated legal practice, if that conveyancing work is overseen a barrister or solicitor.)
  • To make an application to have an interstate or New Zealand conveyancer licence recognised in NSW, visit Apply for mutual recognition of an interstate or New Zealand conveyancer licence.

Payment methods

A list of payment options is available on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 7 November 2023

Rate the information on the page