To ensure apartments are being built to the required standard and to help in restoring consumer confidence, legislation has been introduced in the construction industry.
Professional engineers who work on class 2 buildings or buildings with a class 2 part, in any of the following areas, now need to be registered.
Professional engineer registration classes include:
- fire safety.
Registration is for 1, 3 or 5 years. Fees are applicable.
Note: If eligible, you can also apply for 2 other registration types in the same digital application:
- design practitioner – if you’ll make design compliance declarations and/or lodge documents on the NSW Planning Portal
- principal design practitioner – if you’ll coordinate and lodge designs by other design practitioners for the building practitioner.
If you’re already registered in another Australian state/territory or in New Zealand, you can apply to have your registration recognised under mutual recognition provisions.
To be eligible to apply, you need to:
- be aged 18 or over
- meet the criteria regarding qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience for the registration classes you’re wanting to apply for
- have a current National Police Check certificate that is valid for 4 months when you submit your application (Name and Date of Birth Check only)
- meet insurance requirements as required.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- proof of identity such as an Australian driver licence, passport or Medicare card
- your National Police Check certificate that is valid for 4 months when you submit your application (Name and Date of Birth Check only)
- copies of your degree, postgraduate degree, diploma or National Vocational Education and Training Regulator (NVR) course certificates and/or transcripts
- your contact details
- a current credit card for payment.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility criteria for the registration types and classes you want to apply for.
- Gather your certificates and other required documents.
- Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
Note: You can save and resume your application, but if you have not submitted it within 60 days, any details you’ve entered will be deleted.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to apply for your professional engineer registration.
When you apply for registration, you'll:
- need to wait for your application to be assessed and approved by NSW Fair Trading
- be contacted by NSW Fair Trading if further information is needed
- be notified about the result of your application within 28 days of submitting it (unless placed on hold, pending further information)
- receive your registration ID if approved.