COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


You can apply to upgrade your driver licence to a heavy vehicle multi-combination (MC) licence after you've held either an HR or an HC licence for a period of at least one year.

Before you apply, you'll need to collect a medical report form from a service centre and have it completed by your doctor, pass the knowledge and eyesight tests at a service centre, and complete the heavy vehicle competency based assessment (HVCBA) with an accredited registered training organisation.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • a completed medical report (taken to a doctor for completion prior to the knowledge test)
  • a completed and endorsed HVCBA logbook
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.

Note: If you held an overseas licence and have only recently acquired a NSW licence, you'll also need:

  • your overseas licence/confirmation letter to verify that you have held the lower grade licence for the required period of time.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • If you hold an HR licence, you’ll need to pass an HC assessment before you can start MC training.
  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the Transport for NSW website.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.