Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.


If you’re a builder or tradesperson doing work on a residential building, you’ll need to get home building compensation (HBC) cover. This insurance was formerly known as home warranty insurance.

You must hold HBC cover before you start any work or take any money (including a deposit) where the:

  • contract price is more than $20,000, including GST (unless exempt)
  • contract price is not known, or
  • market cost of labour and materials is over $20,000.

Before you apply for cover, you need a current certificate of eligibility.

Once you've got your certificate of eligibility, you can apply for your HBC cover through an insurance broker/provider who must be approved by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA). 

To learn more about taking out insurance under the HBC scheme, visit SIRA. 

You'll be taken to another website.