Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

COVID-19 information

As part of the NSW Government’s economic stimulus package, licence fees have been waived on new applications and renewals lodged between 1 April 2020 and 31 March 2021.


There are 2 types of hotel liquor licences.

A full hotel liquor licence allows you to sell alcohol to the public for consumption on and off the premises, and to operate gaming machines, subject to separate approval. The licence is appropriate for a variety of venues, such as accommodation hotels and large and small bars.

A hotel general bar licence is more limited than a full hotel liquor licence. It doesn't allow you to operate gaming machines or sell takeaway alcohol, however it does allow the premises to offer accommodation, dining and public entertainment. If the patron capacity of the hotel is less than 100, you may only need to apply for a small bar licence.


You must be:

  • at least 18 years old
  • applying for a premises that's not in a licence freeze precinct (the Sydney CBD Entertainment precinct and the Kings Cross precinct).

What you need

  • a floor plan showing the boundaries proposed for the hotel  
  • requested liquor trading hours
  • details of the venue owner
  • contact details for you or another authorised person
  • a copy of your development approval or consent
  • Category B Community Impact Statement (CIS) completed at least 30 days before lodging this application
  • a copy of the Site Notice prominently displayed at the proposed licensed premises until you hear the outcome of your application
  • a copy of the Site Notice provided to the occupiers of any building or land within 100 metres of the proposed premises
  • completed applicant declaration - PDF (if applicable)
  • your payment.

If you're applying as an individual, you'll also need: 

  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications
  • evidence of your Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) qualifications (if applicable)
  • a current National Police Certificate issued within the last 3 months
  • the 3 identity documents you used when applying for the National Police Certificate.

If you're applying as an organisation, you'll also need to provide:

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • details of an appointment of manager notice (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather the required documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in or create an account.
  5. Complete the online application form.
  6. Upload and attach your supporting documents.
  7. Enter your payment details.
  8. Read and confirm the declaration.
  9. Submit your application.
  10. Display and circulate your Public Consultation – Site Notice as prescribed.

More information

  • The Community Impact Statement and any development consent or approvals (if required) need to be completed before you apply for the liquor licence.
  • Standard hotel trading hours are 5am to midnight, Monday to Saturday, and 10am to 10pm on Sunday.
  • Trading restrictions apply between midnight Sunday and 5am Monday, and on Good Friday and Christmas Day.
  • For more information, visit Liquor & Gaming NSW.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

You'll be taken to another website.