An on-premises liquor licence lets you supply alcohol along with the other products or services you offer at your premises.

If you want to serve alcohol without another service (for example, to serve alcohol without serving food), you can apply for a Primary Service Authorisation (PSA).

You can apply for the PSA at the same time as you apply for the on-premises liquor licence if you wish.


To be eligible for an on-premises licence, you must be at least 18 years old.

In addition, your cafe or restaurant must:

  • prepare and serve meals to the public as a primary business activity
  • be open to the public, not run as a private club
  • serve free drinking water
  • display a sign at the front of the business place that shows the name of the business, the type of liquor licence it has, the business or activity, and the name of the licensee
  • maintain an incident register if the business regularly trades past midnight.

What you need

  • a floor plan showing the boundaries proposed for the licensed premises
  • details of the premises owner
  • contact details for you or another authorised person
  • your requested liquor trading hours
  • a copy of your Development Approval or Consent (if applicable)
  • completed applicant declaration – PDF (if applicable)
  • Community Impact Statement (CIS) (if applicable)
  • a completed PSA application (if you're applying for one)
  • your payment.

If you're applying as an individual, you'll also need to provide:

  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications
  • a current National Police Check certificate issued within the last 3 months, and
  • the 3 identity documents you used when applying for the National Police Check.

If you're applying as an organisation, you'll also need to provide:

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • details of an appointed Approved Manager (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Ensure you've gathered all the required documents.
  3. Click the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in or create an account.
  5. Complete the online application form.
  6. Upload and attach any supporting documents.
  7. Enter your payment details.
  8. Read and confirm the declaration.
  9. Submit your application.
  10. Display and circulate your Public Consultation – Site Notice as prescribed.

More information

Before you apply:

  • if development consent or approval is required, get it before you apply for a liquor licence
  • to avoid delays in processing your application, make sure it's complete.

Once your licence is issued, the conditions on your individual licence will tell you how you can sell or supply alcohol. Generally, the following conditions apply, but you can apply to change them:

  • you can only sell alcohol during standard trading hours (10:00am to midnight Monday to Friday, 10:00am to 10:00pm Sunday, with some restrictions on public holidays)
  • you can only sell alcohol that will be consumed on the premises (that is, no takeaway or carry-out)
  • you must always make food and free drinking water available
  • you must not sell alcohol between 4:00am and 10:00am on any day
  • if your business activity changes (for example, if you stop selling food), your licence will no longer have effect
  • you must always comply with liquor laws and licence requirements.

If you're applying for a PSA:

  • it will cost an additional fee
  • you must include a community impact statement to support your application
  • if successful, you must display a sign at the entrance that lets people know you serve alcohol without meals.
Last updated: 28 November 2023