Back to top

If you're involved in a dispute with a motor dealer about a new or used motor vehicle you've bought, or you're unhappy with repairs carried out by a motor vehicle repairer, you can apply online to have the matter heard by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Before lodging your application, please refer your complaint to NSW Fair Trading who will provide you with further information on the available options.

Apply online
  • your personal details
  • documents and information related to your dispute
  • the legal name and address of the supplier or organisation you're claiming against (respondent)
  • a current business name or company extract from ASIC (if applicable)
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your credit card details
  • your payment.
Apply online
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button. 
  3. Complete the online application form (allow about 30 minutes).
  4. Pay the application fee using your credit card.
  5. Read and confirm the declaration.

Where possible, you'll receive an instant notice. Please check the requirements for your hearing type.

If your application is urgent, or you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete Motor vehicle consumer claim application – PDF.
  2. Attach any relevant supporting documents.
  3. Lodge your completed application with payment at a service centre.
Apply online
  • Motor Vehicles Division applications must be lodged within three years from the date of cause of action, and within 10 years from the date the goods and services were supplied.
  • The 'date of cause of action' is the date you became aware of the problem with the vehicle or contact that is the subject of the application to NCAT.
Apply online
  • After lodging an application with NCAT you can expect a first hearing within 6 weeks.
  • NCAT has jurisdiction to determine Motor Vehicles Division applications up to $40,000, except when the dispute relates to the purchase of a new vehicle used for private purposes. Orders can then be made for any sum of money.
Apply online

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: