Before you start any building or construction work, you’ll need to apply for a construction certificate (CC).

This certificate confirms that the construction plans and development specifications are consistent with the development consent, and comply with the Building Code and any other council requirements.

You can apply online for a CC via the NSW Planning Portal.


For a certificate to be issued, you must:

  • hold an approved development consent issued by your local council
  • have met all the requirements council placed on your development consent
  • provide details of the work, such as construction plans and specifications for the development.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account or your NSW Planning Portal login details
  • copies of documents for uploading, which may include but are not limited to:
    • development consent 
    • detailed building plans/engineering details and specifications
  • you will need to pay a fee as part of the digital application process on the NSW Planning Portal.

How to apply

1. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.

2. Select ‘Log in with a Service NSW account’ or enter your Planning Portal login details.

3. Follow the prompts to complete your application, either:

  • as a standalone application, or
  • by connecting to an existing development application.

Note: If you’d like a step-by-step guide, download Submitting an application for a construction certificate – PDF.

More information

Last updated: 4 March 2024