With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size

Computer-based driver knowledge tests during COVID-19

If you're sitting a Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) or the Hazard Perception Test (HPT) at a Service NSW service centre, you are required to wear masks unless:

  • there is a 1.5 metre gap between the work stations, or

  • the work stations have side screens in place between them.


You can apply for a provisional P1 driver licence if you've held a NSW learner licence for the required period of time, and passed the necessary tests. You can also apply if you've passed the driving test as a holder of an interstate learner licence, provisional licence or an overseas licence.

Applications for the licence are made at a service centre, and if you wish you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.


You must:

  • be at least 17 years of age
  • have held a learner licence for at least 12 months (if you're aged between 17 and 24)
  • have logged the required driving hours
  • have passed the HPT.

If you're 25 or older you can attempt the HPT and driving test at any time after obtaining your learner licence.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'
  • your current learner licence
  • to have passed the Hazard Perception Test (HPT)
  • proof of identity documents (if applicable)
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • You mustn't use any function of a mobile phone while you're driving or riding. This includes when you're waiting at lights, or stuck in traffic, and means texting, hands-free, speaker mode and GPS functions. The only time you can use your mobile is when you're safely parked out of the line of traffic.
  • If you're aged between 17 and 24 you must have held your learner licence for at least 12 months, but you're allowed to attempt the HPT after 10 months.
  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
  • Renewal notices are posted generally within six weeks of the card's expiry date.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • For further information about centralised printing, please visit Transport for NSW.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.