Computer-based driver knowledge tests during COVID-19
You can apply for a provisional P1 driver licence if you've held a NSW learner licence for the required period of time, and passed the necessary tests. You can also apply if you've passed the driving test as a holder of an interstate learner licence, provisional licence or an overseas licence.
Applications for the licence are made at a service centre, and if you wish you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.
- be at least 17 years of age
- have held a learner licence for at least 12 months (if you're aged between 17 and 24)
- have logged the required driving hours
- have passed the HPT.
If you're 25 or older you can attempt the HPT and driving test at any time after obtaining your learner licence.
What you need
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
- Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
- Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- You mustn't use any function of a mobile phone while you're driving or riding. This includes when you're waiting at lights, or stuck in traffic, and means texting, hands-free, speaker mode and GPS functions. The only time you can use your mobile is when you're safely parked out of the line of traffic.
- If you're aged between 17 and 24 you must have held your learner licence for at least 12 months, but you're allowed to attempt the HPT after 10 months.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
- Renewal notices are posted generally within six weeks of the card's expiry date.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
- For further information about centralised printing, please visit Transport for NSW.