COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


You can re-register written-off vehicles in NSW in some specific situations. In these limited cases, the vehicle must have no non-repairable damage and must fit into an exempt category.

Before you can re-register your vehicle, you'll need to have an authorisation to repair from Transport for NSW (TfNSW), and a certificate of compliance from a licensed repairer. Once you have these, and all other applicable documentation, you can apply to re-register your vehicle at a service centre.


  • The vehicle must have no non-repairable damage. 'Non-repairable damage' is damage so severe that it's unsafe to attempt repairs.
  • The vehicle must be in an exempt category. The exempt categories are:
    • hail damaged vehicles, where you were the registered operator for more than 28 days before the vehicle was hail damaged
    • a vehicle that you inherited in a will or letters of administration
    • a vehicle that you owned for at least 28 days before it was damaged.

What you need

  • your driver licence number/customer number
  • your personal details
  • your vehicle registration details
  • an approved authorisation to repair from TfNSW
  • a certificate of compliance issued by a licensed repairer
  • any third-party certifications (for example, air bag repairs or structural certification)
  • an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station report (including identity and safety check)
  • an Authorised Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit report
  • proof of your registration entitlement
  • your Compulsory Third Party insurance (commonly known as a green slip)
  • payment for any registration fees
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.

How to register

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Apply to TfNSW for an authorisation to repair:
    • download and complete the Application to Repair a Written-Off Vehicle – PDF
    • attach your declaration of vehicle damage from your insurer
    • attach your evidence of exemption status
    • make sure you have all the required documents
    • post your application to the address on the form.

If your application is approved, TfNSW will post you an authorisation to repair. The repairs must be completed or certified by a licensed repairer.

Once all your repairs are completed and certified:

  1. Get the vehicle inspected at an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (including an identity and safety check).
  2. Get the vehicle inspected at the Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit.
  3. Apply for registration.

More information

  • This process also applies to written-off vehicles that were classed as 'repairable write-offs' in NSW before 31 January 2011.
  • Heavy Vehicles written-off after 3 December 2018 must be recorded on the Written-Off Heavy Vehicle Register.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.