You can commemorate an early pregnancy loss with a Recognition of Early Pregnancy Loss certificate.
This is not a legal document, but can be used to memorialise a loss that occurred before 20 weeks, or if weeks are unknown, a baby that weighed less than 400 grams.
You're eligible if your loss took place:
- in NSW, and
- before 20 weeks, or if weeks are unknown, the baby weighed less than 400 grams.
What you need
- your personal and contact details
- a declaration completed by the treating medical practitioner or midwife.
Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages understands that due to the circumstances of the pregnancy loss, you may not be able to provide all the details on the application form.
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Download, print and complete the application form – Recognition of early pregnancy loss – PDF.
- Ask your treating medical practitioner or midwife to complete the health professional’s declaration section of the application.
- Send your completed application to the contact details listed on the form or lodge your application at a Service NSW Centre.
- The Recognition of Early Pregnancy Loss application and certificate is free.
- There is no time limit on when you can apply after your loss.
- You need to have supporting documentation from your treating medical practitioner or midwife.
- Processing times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.