If you're wanting to get into the private rental market, but finding it financially difficult to get started, you may be eligible to apply for a Rentstart Bond Loan. The loan, which can be up to 100% of your rental bond, is interest free.
The payments you make are returned to you at the end of the tenancy if there's no claim made by the landlord or real estate agent.
You can apply for a Rentstart Bond Loan, online.
Note: Part of the online process will require input from your real estate/landlord. An email will be sent to them with a link to complete the Property Information form.
Australian citizens/permanent residents who reside in NSW, and:
- are eligible for social housing
- have less than $3000 in cash assets
- are able to sustain a tenancy in the private rental market
- the rent for the property they want to rent is not more than 50% of their household’s total gross weekly income.
What you need
For detailed guidance on completing the online application visit Rentstart Bond Loan online help.
- your personal and contact details
- identity documents that will be verified electronically:
- Australian driver licence
- Australian passport
- Medicare card.
- bank statement/s for the previous 4 weeks
- your proof of income such as pay slips (if applicable)
- proof of assets (if applicable).
In addition, if applying offline:
- Part A – Application for Rentstart Bond Loan form
- Part B – Additional Persons form (if there are additional people aged over 18 years to be housed with you)
- Part C – Property Information form (to be completed by the estate agent or property owner)
- Part D – Income from Employment form (to be completed by your employer if you're working)
- Part E – Rentstart Bond Loan Agreement form
- Authority for Bond Loan Deduction form (if you're a Centrelink customer).
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Read Rentstart Bond Loan online help to help you navigate the online process.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Register to access the online application form.
- Enter all information as requested.
- Review and submit.
If you don't wish to apply online:
- Download and read:
- Download, print and complete:
- Part A – Application for Rentstart Bond Loan – PDF
- Part C – Property Information – PDF (to be completed by the real estate agent or landlord).
- Where applicable, download, print and complete:
- Gather together:
- all appropriate completed forms
- your ID documents
- bank statement/s
- pay slips (if applicable)
- proof of assets (if applicable)
- Fax or email your application to the details on Part A – Application for Rentstart Bond Loan form.
- If you have a pre-approved Bond Loan, you'll need to apply using the Rentstart Bond Loan Supplement – PDF.
- You can save your application form at any time and come back to finish it later. You have 14 days from the time you register.
- In exceptional circumstances, a loan may be provided for up to 100% of the bond.
- Your repayment plan is based on how much of your income is spent on rent.