Text size


If you need to stop a vehicle being sold, you can place a dealing restriction on it at a service centre. A dealing restriction is placed on a vehicle when ownership is disputed. Registration can be renewed on the vehicle, but it can't be transferred or re-established.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • a court order (if applicable)

  • a police report or COPS Event Number (if applicable)

  • a financial management order (if applicable)

  • a copy of the Will or Testament if you're the executor of the estate (if applicable)

  • authorisation from the company, if you're representing their directions (if applicable)

  • evidence that you're a company director (if applicable)

  • the completed Dealing Restriction Application – PDF form with a daytime contact number supplied

  • documentary evidence that legal proceedings have commenced, or a letter from a legal representative that legal proceedings are about to commence

  • written proof of the relationship between the parties (for example, a letter from a solicitor outlining the relationship).

How to apply

  1. Download, print and complete the Dealing Restriction Application – PDF
  2. Make sure you've attached all the required documents.
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.
Last updated: 26 May 2020