With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


If you want to instruct non-learners in motorcycle riding for a fee or other compensation, you need to hold a restricted riding instructor’s licence. Applying for this licence involves a number of steps, including police checks and an instructor training course.

The first step is to submit the driving instructor's licence application form, and you can do this at a service centre.

Please note, there is a separate application procedure if you already hold either an interstate licence or are a member of the NSW Police Force.


You must:

  • be aged 21 years or older
  • hold a current Australian driver licence
  • have held the equivalent class of unrestricted licence in which you want to instruct, for a minimum of 3 of the last 4 years
  • hold a WWCC number.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • a medical practitioner to complete the medical check section of the form
  • eye specialist or optometrist's report (if applicable)
  • your driver licence
  • your Working With Children Check (WWCC) number 
  • if you haven't held a NSW driver licence for more than 3 years, you'll need to provide a full driving record/history from the authority in the state or country where you previously held your driver licence
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if applicable)
  • 4 passport size photographs
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992 – PDF but don't sign it until you visit a service centre.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • Your signature on the form has to be witnessed, so don't sign until you attend the service centre.
  • The restricted driving instructor's licence is issued with the condition 'Restricted licence, the licensee is not permitted to instruct people who hold a learner driver licence' displayed on the front of the licence.
  • Motorcycle instructors must be accredited by Transport for NSW to instruct in the NSW Rider Training Scheme.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.