If you want to instruct non-learners in motorcycle riding for a fee or other compensation, you need to hold a restricted riding instructor’s licence. Applying for this licence involves a number of steps, including police checks and an instructor training course.
The first step is to submit the driving instructor's licence application form, and you can do this at a service centre.
Please note, there is a separate application procedure if you already hold either an interstate licence or are a member of the NSW Police Force.
- be aged 21 years or older
- hold a current Australian driver licence
- have held the equivalent class of unrestricted licence in which you want to instruct, for a minimum of 3 of the last 4 years
- hold a WWCC number.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- a medical practitioner to complete the medical check section of the form
- eye specialist or optometrist's report (if applicable)
- your driver licence
- your Working With Children Check (WWCC) number
- if you haven't held a NSW driver licence for more than 3 years, you'll need to provide a full driving record/history from the authority in the state or country where you previously held your driver licence
- your contact lenses or glasses (if applicable)
- 4 passport size photographs
- the PDF form – 'Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992'.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete the Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992 – PDF but don't sign it until you visit a service centre.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- Your signature on the form has to be witnessed, so don't sign until you attend the service centre.
- The restricted driving instructor's licence is issued with the condition 'Restricted licence, the licensee is not permitted to instruct people who hold a learner driver licence' displayed on the front of the licence.
- Motorcycle instructors must be accredited by Transport for NSW to instruct in the NSW Rider Training Scheme.