Before you start selling tobacco, non-tobacco smoking products or e-cigarettes, the Public Health (Tobacco) Act 2008 requires businesses to notify NSW Health by applying for a retailer identification number (RIN).

You can apply for an RIN online.


Any business that sells tobacco, non-tobacco smoking products or e-cigarettes must notify NSW Health before commencing operations.

Businesses include:

  • retail shops such as tobacconists, general grocers, convenience stores, petrol stations
  • licensed premises that sell tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes over the counter or have a vending machine that does
  • suppliers of tobacco or e-cigarette vending machines.

What you need

  • director(s) and/or business owner(s) personal and contact details
  • company/business address
  • address(s) of the premises where the tobacco/e-cigarettes will be sold
  • name and details of a contact person.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Select 'Start'.
  3. Log in or create an account.
  4. Complete the online application form.
  5. Read and confirm the declaration.

More information

  • authorised inspectors can issue on-the-spot fines to a business for not notifying NSW Health.
  • For more information please visit NSW Health or call 1800 357 412.
Last updated: 27 April 2023