If you want tinstall a business sign or an awning over a public road, including the footpath, you'll need approval from your local council. You may also need a complying development certificate (CDC) if the sign or awning doesn't meet the prescribed development standards of the State Environment Planning Policy (SEPP).


Any person wishing to:

  • install a sign/awning that will overhang any part of a road or footpath
  • alter an existing street awning
  • install a projecting wall sign
  • install a freestanding pylon or directory board sign.

What you need

  • your council's approval
  • a complying development certificate (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select 'Find your local council'.
  3. Different councils have different procedures, so follow the guidelines set out by your particular council.

More information

  • CDCs can be issued by either the council or a private accredited certifier.
  • Maintenance of awnings and business signs are the responsibility of the business owner and may be subject to building inspection.
Last updated: 15 November 2023