If you want to reserve a name for a new association, or you're intending to change the name of your existing association, you can lodge an application form in person at a service centre, or via mail or email.

Reserving a proposed name is optional.


This form can be completed by anyone authorised to reserve a name for:

  • a new association, or
  • an existing association that intends to change its name, or
  • 2 or more associations that propose to amalgamate, or
  • a company or co-operative that intends to register as an incorporated association.

If you need any specific assistance, please call Registry Services on 1800 502 042

To make sure that you have all the information you need to complete this transaction, please visit  NSW Fair Trading – About associations

What you need

  • 3 proposed names for your association
  • the PDF form – 'Application for reservation of name (Form A1)'.

How to apply

  1. Download, print and complete the Application for reservation of name – PDF
  2. Submit your application with payment either in person at a service centre, or by mail or email to the details on the form.

More information

  • If approved, the name will only be reserved for 3 months and expire if the association doesn’t incorporate in that time.
  • You’re not able to extend a name reservation.
  • It’s your responsibility to check whether a name is restricted in a way that may prevent the use of it, such as it closely resembles an existing incorporated association name, or is the same as a registered business or company name.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 7 November 2023

Rate the information on the page