As an eligible asylum seeker you can apply for a transport concession entitlement card which will qualify you for concession fares on public transport throughout NSW. If your application is successful, you'll also receive a gold Opal card and pay reduced fares within the Opal network.
Your transport concession entitlement card is proof of your entitlement, and you need to carry it with you whenever you're travelling.
You must be residing permanently in NSW, and:
- receiving aid from a recognised asylum seeker support agency and applying for a bridging visa as an asylum seeker, or
- currently holding a bridging visa as an asylum seeker, or appealing a determination of status as an asylum seeker.
What you need
- to be registered with a designated support agency
- the name and email address of the designated agency
- your completed certification form.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Select the entitlement type.
- Enter the name and email address of your designated support agency.
- Upload your certification form.
- Complete the online application.
- You must apply through a designated agency, and they'll help you complete your online form, and the online applications for your eligible family members (if applicable).
- The transport concession entitlement card is free, but you need to add value to your gold Opal card to be able to travel.
- The transport concession entitlement card entitles you to:
- concession fares on regular local bus services outside the Opal network – including the $2.50 country pensioner excursion ticket and the $2.50 regional excursion daily ticket on local buses in regional areas. Check with Local Transport Operators to find out if you're entitled to concession fares on privately-operated local bus services.
- together with your gold Opal card, concession travel on trains, buses, ferries and light rail in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Illawarra, Hunter and Southern Highlands, and a Sydney Airport station access fee concession.
- Your cards will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks to be processed and delivered.
- Both cards expire after 12 months, but if you're still eligible, you can renew your transport concession entitlement card, and your gold Opal card will be extended for a further 12 months.