Before you apply for a general boat or personal watercraft (PWC) driving licence, you need to pass a licence knowledge test.
The general boat driving licence knowledge test consists of 50 multiple choice questions, while the PWC driving licence knowledge test has 15 questions.
To take either of these knowledge tests at a Service NSW Centre, you can book an appointment online. If you take the test at a service centre and you pass, you must apply for your general boat driving licence or PWC driving licence at the same time.
Alternatively, you can choose to take the tests with an Authorised Training Provider (ATP). If you have passed the test through an ATP, you’ll need to apply for your licence at a service centre or by post.
You are eligible to take a general boat driving licence knowledge test if you’re 12 years or older (there are licence restrictions if you’re under the age of 16).
You must already hold a general boat driving licence before you take the PWC licence knowledge test.
What you need
- your personal and contact details
- the preferred date and time for your appointment
- your payment (payable at the service centre on the day you take the test).
For what you need when taking your knowledge test and applying for your licence at the same time, see Apply for a general boat driving licence or Apply for a personal watercraft (PWC) driving licence.
How to book an appointment
- Select the ‘Book an appointment’ button.
- Select your preferred service centre.
- Choose a date and time for your appointment.
- Enter your details to confirm your booking.