Back to top

To get either a learner or provisional motorcycle rider licence, you need to attend and pass the training course relevant to your licence.

If you're an existing Roads and Maritime Services customer, the Pre-Learner Rider Training Course and Pre-Provisional Rider Training Course can be booked online.

If a motorcycle training centre is unavailable in your local area, you'll need to visit a service centre.

Book online
  • your name
  • your driver licence, Photo Card, or​ Roads and Maritime customer number
  • your account password (if applicable)
  • your payment.
Book online
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Book online' button.
  3. Select 'Book a test'.
  4. Select 'existing RMS customer' or 'Log in'.
  5. Enter your details and select 'Continue'.
  6. Select your preferred location and date.
  7. Confirm the test date.
  8. Enter your payment details.
  9. Confirm the booking.
  10. View/print/email your confirmation.
Book online
  • Existing Roads and Maritime customers who have either a driver licence or Photo Card.
  • For learner rider training, you can attend a pre-learner course when you're 16 years and 6 months old. However, you need to be at least 16 years and 9 months old to get your learner rider licence.
  • For pre-provisional rider training, you need to have had a learner rider licence for a qualifying period of at least 3 months. You can book your course 6 weeks before the end of the qualifying period, and you must complete the course before the expiry of your learner rider licence.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Roads and Maritime Services.

Book online
  • Make sure you've booked your pre-provisional training at least 4 to 6 weeks before your learner licence expires. This will give you enough time to reschedule another test if you fail, or have to delay, the first one.
  • If you don't pass the provisional training before your licence expires, you'll have to start the entire program again – this includes paying the fees again.
  • You can't get an extension or renewal of a learner rider licence.
Book online

Payment methods

For online or phone transactions, you can pay with:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre, you can pay with:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: