Text size


If you live interstate and your vehicle is registered in NSW, you can cancel your vehicle registration and apply for a refund of the unused portion of the motor vehicle tax.

Before you cancel your NSW vehicle registration, consider registering the vehicle and paying stamp duty in your state. Otherwise, you'll have to pay NSW stamp duty when cancelling the NSW registration.

Note: Refunds can take 6 to 8 weeks to process.


You must:

  • live interstate
  • be the registered operator of the vehicle.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Request for Refund of NSW Registration'
  • access to a printer
  • the NSW number plates, or a 'surrendered number plate' receipt from the interstate authority
  • copies of your:
    • proof of identity
    • proof of registration entitlement which shows the date you acquired the vehicle and its market value
    • current interstate Certificate of Registration (if seeking exemption from NSW stamp duty)
    • proof of payment of stamp duty to your interstate authority (if seeking exemption from NSW stamp duty).

How to cancel

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete, print and sign the form.
  3. Attach all the required documentation.
  4. Post your application to:

Manual Refunds
Transport for NSW
Locked Bag 14
Dubbo NSW 2830

More information

  • Only the NSW motor vehicle tax is refundable. Other charges, such as the registration fee and number plate fee, are not refundable.
  • If you register your vehicle interstate under the same name as NSW, you'll incur a cancellation fee only.
  • If you register your vehicle interstate under a different name, you'll incur a transfer fee and cancellation fee.
  • Your cancellation and/or transfer fees will be deducted from your refund amount.
  • Visit the Transport for NSW website to view the current transfer and cancellation fees.
Last updated: 20 May 2022
You'll be taken to another website.