An employer can owe wages to an employee for various reasons. They may have unintentionally underpaid the employee, and the employee has left their business and can't be contacted, or maybe the Fair Work Ombudsman has found an underpayment through an audit.

If an underpayment has been found, the Fair Work Ombudsman collects the unpaid wages and holds the money on the employee's behalf.

If you think you may be owed unpaid wages, you can check online. 

What you need

  • the employer's ABN or the business (entity) name.

How to check

  1. Select the 'Check online' button.
  2. Enter your family name.
  3. Enter the ABN or the business name of your employer.
  4. Select 'Submit'.
  5. If your search is successful, contact the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94 to claim the wages.
Last updated: 7 November 2023