COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


Revenue NSW holds unclaimed money from accounts held in NSW. ‘Unclaimed money’ is:

  • more than $100 in an account that has been inactive for at least 6 years
  • any amount of trust money under the Property Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 that has been held for more than 2 years
  • certain kinds of superannuation –  businesses and public sector superannuation funds send information to Revenue NSW about money owed to people they can’t find. 

You can search and claim your lost money online, using the Revenue NSW website.


To make a claim on unclaimed money held by Revenue NSW, you must be able to prove:

  • your identity
  • your connection to your last known address as held by Revenue NSW
  • a relationship between you and the business that sent Revenue NSW the money (such as share certificates, statements).

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • copies of proof of identity documents as detailed on the form
  • change of name document (if applicable)
  • evidence of your connection to the last known address held by Revenue NSW
  • evidence of a relationship between you and the entity that sent the unclaimed money to Revenue NSW
  • an ASIC company search (if applicable)
  • an original letter of authority issued by the company (if applicable)
  • your Australian bank account details.

How to search

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Search online' button.
  3. Select 'Search and claim lost money'.
  4. Enter your/the owner's name and the required security check code.
  5. Select 'Submit'.
  6. If your search is successful, any unclaimed monies will be displayed.
  7. Select the checkbox for the unclaimed money item/s and then select 'Submit a claim'.
  8. Complete the online claim form.
  9. Select 'Submit'.
  10. You'll receive an email with a Claim Acknowledgement form (and an Unclaimed Money Estate Report if applicable).
  11. Complete the form (or forms if applicable).
  12. Gather together all the required documentation to prove you're the rightful owner, and post your claim to:

Revenue NSW
GPO Box 4042
Sydney NSW 2001

If you don't want to lodge your claim online, you can download, complete and post an Unclaimed Money Claim Form – PDF.

More information

Revenue NSW holds the following types of unclaimed money only from accounts maintained in NSW:

  • dividends
  • principal and interest
  • trust account funds
  • expenses
  • refunds and overpayments
  • deposits and premiums
  • unpresented cheques
  • proceeds of sale
  • royalties
  • commissions
  • creditors
  • debentures
  • bonds
  • convertible notes
  • superannuation lodged between 1 July 1997 and 30 June 2007
  • New South Wales (NSW) Public Sector Superannuation.

Revenue NSW does not hold the following types of unclaimed money:

  • bank savings superannuation (other than NSW Public Sector Superannuation) lodged after 1 July 2007
  • unpaid wages
  • estates or trusts where next of kin and/or beneficiaries can’t be found, or
  • from accounts maintained outside of NSW.

Please note:

  • debiting of fees, taxes, duties or charges, or the crediting of interest or dividends into an inactive account doesn't make that account an active account
  • you have 6 years from the time Revenue NSW receives the unclaimed money to make a claim, although the Chief Commissioner will consider claims after 6 years
  • there is no time limit for unclaimed superannuation benefits.
You'll be taken to another website.