When you buy a new or used vehicle you may be required to pay stamp duty costs when you transfer the vehicle into your name. Stamp duty is calculated on the market value of the vehicle or the purchase price, whichever is higher.
If you'd like to calculate the stamp duty for a vehicle, you can do this online using Revenue NSW's stamp duty calculator.
What you need
The market value or purchase price of the vehicle (whichever is higher).
How to check
- Select the 'Check online' button.
- Complete the required fields.
- Select 'Calculate'.
- Stamp duty is calculated at $3 per $100, or part thereof, of the vehicle's value.
- For passenger vehicles valued over $45,000 with seating for up to 9 occupants, the rate of stamp duty is $1,350 plus $5 per $100, or part thereof, of the vehicle's value over $45,000. These vehicles may include:
- station wagons
- four wheel drive vehicles with seats and windows
- two wheel drive panel vans with seats and windows
- three wheel cars
- forward control passenger vehicles
- small buses
- motor homes
- snow vehicles.
- Concessions or exemptions may apply.