You can check a vehicle's registration details online. A free registration check includes:
- the registration expiry date
- whether the registration is suspended or cancelled
- any registration restrictions
- any registration concessions (additional charges that might apply when transferred to a new owner)
- the Compulsory Third Party insurer and policy expiry date.
The free registration check can only be run on vehicles previously or currently registered in NSW.
What you need
The vehicle's NSW registration plate number.
How to check
- Select the 'Check online' button.
- Enter the vehicle's NSW plate number, without spaces or dots.
- Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select the 'Next' button.
- Review the registration report.
- Print the report by selecting the 'Print' button.
- For a fee you can get additional information such as if the vehicle has been written off, or if the vehicle, its number plate or engine are reported as stolen.
- If you intend buying a vehicle from a private seller, you should visit the Personal Property Securities Register website to find out if there is any finance owing.
- If you need information for legal proceedings you can request a certified copy from:
Roads and Maritime Services Certificates Unit
Locked Bag 14
Grafton NSW 2460.
Service NSW and Roads and Maritime Services are aware of a Third Party website offering vehicle registration checks. This site charges a fee for the registration check. Customers should note that Roads and Maritime Services and Service NSW do not have any connection with other websites or services.