You can check a vehicle's registration details online. A free registration check includes:
- the registration expiry date
- whether the registration is suspended or cancelled
- any registration restrictions
- any registration concessions (additional charges that might apply when transferred to a new owner)
- the Compulsory Third Party insurer and policy expiry date.
What you'll need
The vehicle's NSW registration plate number.
How to check
- Select the 'Check online' button.
- Enter the vehicle's NSW plate number, without spaces or dots.
- Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select the 'Next' button.
- Review the registration report.
- Print the report by selecting the 'Print' button.
The free registration check can only be run on vehicles previously or currently registered in NSW.
Things to keep in mind...
- For a fee you can get additional information such as if the vehicle has been written off, or if the vehicle, its number plate or engine are reported as stolen.
- If you intend buying a vehicle from a private seller, you should visit the Personal Property Securities Register website to find out if there is any finance owing.
- If you need information for legal proceedings you can request a certified copy from:
Roads and Maritime Services Certificates Unit
Locked Bag 14
Grafton NSW 2460.
Service NSW and Roads and Maritime Services are aware of a Third Party website offering vehicle registration checks. This site charges a fee for the registration check. Customers should note that Roads and Maritime Services and Service NSW do not have any connection with other websites or services.