If you want to downgrade from a personal watercraft (PWC) driving licence to a general boat driving licence, you'll need to surrender your PWC driving licence.

For the general boat driving licence to be issued, your PWC driving licence must be current, or have expired/cancelled less than 5 years ago.

What you need

  • a written request stating that the PWC driving licence is no longer required
  • your proof of identity
  • your PWC driving licence 
  • the Request for Refund Form 1693 (if applicable).

How to submit

  1. Complete the Request for Refund (Form 1693) – PDF (if applicable).

  2. Return your form and all the required documentation in person or by post.

In person

Visit a service centre (make sure to bring all the required documentation).

By post

Service NSW
Agency Business Centre
PO Box 21
Parkes NSW 2870

More information

  • The duration of a general boat driving licence can be one (1), 3, 5 or 10 years.
  • Licence fees vary depending on the duration of the licence, and whether they are concessional licences.
  • If you hold an unrestricted NSW driver licence (all classes) and a NSW general boat driving licence, you may be eligible to combine these 2 licences on one card. Visit Transport for NSW to make sure you have all the information.
Last updated: 28 November 2023