Text size


If you want to downgrade from a personal watercraft (PWC) driving licence to a general boat driving licence, you'll need to surrender your PWC driving licence. For the general boat driving licence to be issued, your PWC driving licence must be current, or expired/cancelled less than 5 years).

What you need

  • a written request stating that the PWC driving licence is no longer required
  • your proof of identity
  • your PWC driving licence 
  • the Request for Refund form (if applicable).

How to submit

  1. Complete the Request for Refund  – PDF (if applicable).

  2. Make sure that you have all the required documentation.

  3. Visit a service centre and provide the information in person, or post the documentation to:

    Service NSW
    Agency Business Centre
    PO Box 21
    Parkes NSW 2870

More information

  • The duration of a general boat driving licence can be one(1), 3, 5 or 10 years.
  • Licence fees vary depending on the duration of the licence, and whether they are concessional licences.
  • If you hold an unrestricted NSW driver licence (all classes) and a NSW general boat driving licence, you may be eligible to combine these 2 licences on one card. Visit Transport for NSW to make sure you have all the information.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 20 April 2021