Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) helps people experiencing difficulty paying their energy bill because of a short-term financial hardship, crisis or emergency. 

An eligible hardship, crisis or emergency may include: 

  • loss of income
  • unexpected medical costs
  • natural disaster (flood, bushfire, or drought)
  • receiving a disconnection letter.


You may be eligible if you live in NSW and all of the following apply:

  • you have an electricity or natural gas account for your home in NSW
  • you're the account holder (the account and bill must be in your name)
  • you have not paid your most recent bill
  • the bill you need help with is for an account that is still open
  • you're having a short-term financial crisis or emergency and finding it hard to pay your recent energy bill.

You're not eligible if:

Talk to your energy retailer first

Contact your energy retailer to let them know you're applying for EAPA. Your retailer cannot disconnect you while you're waiting to be assessed for EAPA.

What you need

  • 2 proof of identity documents (such as Australian driver licence, Medicare card, passport)
  • a copy of your current electricity and/or natural gas bill
  • a MyServiceNSW Account (if you are applying online).

How to apply

Apply online

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Log in or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  4. Follow the prompts to submit your application for assessment.

After you have applied online

You will receive an email confirmation with your application number.

A NSW Government representative will call you within 2 to 6 weeks to assess your eligibility. The assessment will involve asking you for details about your crisis and a call with your energy retailer to discuss what support they can offer you.

Apply in person or over the phone

You can apply in person or over the phone to be assessed by an approved Non-Government EAPA provider.

Contacting a Non-Government EAPA provider may be more suitable if you:

Find a Non-Government EAPA provider.

More information

  • For ongoing support, use our Savings Finder to find energy rebates and other savings.
  • If you need help to apply online, call Service NSW on 13 77 88.
  • You can appoint an authorised person to apply on your behalf if you're not able to do so yourself. The person helping you will need to complete an Authority to Act form.
Last updated: 11 March 2024