Opal is the electronic ticketing system used on public transport in NSW. This includes train, ferry, bus and light rail travel.
You can order an adult Opal card or a child/youth Opal card online, or pick one up at a service centre. Visit Opal card retailers and enter Service NSW in the search box.
For an adult Opal card:
- anyone over 16 who would normally pay full fare.
For a child/youth Opal card:
- children aged 4 to 15 years inclusive
- full-time NSW/ACT school students aged 16 years and older who have a senior secondary student card issued by their school.
What you need
- your personal details
- payment for your top up amount.
How to get a card
- Select the 'Order online' button.
- Select 'Adult' or 'Child/Youth'.
- Select 'Continue ordering an Opal card'.
- Complete the registration details.
- Decide on your top-up amount and type.
- Make your payment.
- Select 'Submit'.
- Once you've ordered your card, it'll take about 5 to 7 working days to be delivered.
If you're aged 16 years or over and are travelling with your child/youth Opal card, you must also carry your valid NSW senior secondary student concession card. If you don't, you may be fined.
Last updated: 12 April 2023