Text size


If you're involved in a home building dispute as a home owner or licensed contractor, and you've been unable to resolve the issue privately, you can seek advice from, or lodge a complaint with, NSW Fair Trading. They'll act as an informal negotiator, at no charge.

If the complaint relates to defective or incomplete building work, it may be referred to a Building Inspector.

Certain complaints may need to be referred to NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).


  • any home owners or licensed contractors who've been unable to reach agreement over a home building dispute.

What you need

  • your name and contact details 
  • name and contact details for the person/contractor you are complaining about
  • details of the work, including council application details, value and payments made, and Owner-Builder permit details
  • details of the contract, home warranty insurance, and strata scheme (if applicable)
  • details of your complaint and any response from the homeowner or contractor
  • what you would like the homeowner or contractor to do
  • access to a printer (if applicable).

How to lodge

  1. Select the 'Lodge online' button.
  2. Gather the information and documentation needed.
  3. Complete the online application form (allow about 30 minutes).

If you don't wish to lodge online you can:

  1. Download and complete the Home building complaint form – PDF
  2. Gather your supporting documentation.
  3. Lodge your complaint in person at a service centre or post it to:
    NSW Fair Trading
    PO Box 972
    Parramatta NSW 2124

More information

  • You'll need to read and confirm the declaration that the information you supply is accurate and may be provided to the other party for the purposes of resolving the dispute.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.

Last updated: 24 April 2023
You'll be taken to another website.