If you're involved in a home building dispute and you've been unable to resolve the issue privately, you can lodge a complaint with the Building Commission NSW.

The Building Commission NSW deals with building-related disputes about:

  • incomplete home building work
  • building defects including workmanship, quality of specialist trades, waterproofing and fire safety
  • damage caused to other structures (including neighbouring properties) by home building work
  • specialist work, including electrical wiring, plumbing, gasfitting and air conditioning/refrigeration. 

The Building Commission NSW complaint handling service is free.

What you need

  • details of the contractor who did the work
  • details of the work, including dates, council application number, value and payments made
  • Owner-Builder Permit number (if applicable)
  • copies of the following documents for uploading:
    • contracts and agreements
    • certificate of home warranty insurance, or insurance under Home Building Compensation Fund (if applicable)
    • correspondence, photos, reports, and other supporting evidence
    • certificates of compliance from electrician, plumber, or gas fitter (if applicable).

How to lodge


  1. Gather the required documents.
  2. Select the 'Lodge online' button.
  3. Follow the prompts to lodge a complaint.

In person or by post

If you do not wish to lodge online you can:

  1. Download and complete the Home building complaint form – PDF.
  2. Lodge your complaint

More information

  • Refer to the NSW Guide to Standards and Tolerances to understand what standard of work is acceptable. 
  • Try to maintain positive communication throughout the dispute resolution process.
  • Where a consumer and trader are unable to resolve their dispute, the Building Commission NSW will attempt to mediate an outcome suitable to all parties concerned.
  • A formal request for the Building Commission NSW to assist in the dispute resolution may be made by the consumer or the trader but both parties need to agree to the attempt at resolution.
Last updated: 21 May 2024

Rate the information on the page