If you're involved in a retirement village dispute as a resident or owner/operator and you've been unable to resolve the issue privately, you can lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading. There's no fee for this service.

What you need

  • name and contact details of the resident or owner/operator you're complaining about
  • details of the retirement village involved
  • details of the dispute and your attempt to resolve the issue 
  • copies of any relevant documents such as condition reports, photos.

How to lodge


  1. Select the 'Lodge online' button.
  2. Gather the information and documents needed.
  3. Complete the online form.

By mail

If you don't wish to lodge online you can:

  1. Download and complete the Property Complaint Form – PDF.
  2. Gather your supporting documentation.
  3. Lodge your complaint by mail to the details on the form.

More information

If the issue cannot be resolved by mediation or through the NSW Fair Trading complaint service, you can lodge an application with the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Last updated: 7 February 2024