If you need to travel long distances for specialist medical treatment, assistance with your travel and accommodation expenses is available through the Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS).
If you're eligible for this support and have registered with IPTAAS, you can make a claim online.
- be a resident of NSW or Lord Howe Island
- be eligible for Medicare
- live more than 100km from the nearest treating specialist (you may also be eligible if cumulative journeys to your treating specialist exceed 200km within a week)
- require specialist treatment that is not available locally
- have claimed all benefits available through a private health fund before applying to IPTAAS (if applicable)
- not be eligible for any other government travel assistance schemes.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Health.
What you need
- your login email address and password
- your IPTAAS registration number
- scans/photographs of all supporting documentation for your travel and accommodation expenses, such as receipts and invoices.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements and Register with IPTAAS if you've not already done so.
- Select the 'Lodge online' button.
- Select 'Sign In'.
- Enter the required information.
- Upload your supporting documentation.
- Submit your claim.
- An email will be sent to your specialist to confirm your treatment dates.
If your specialist isn't registered with IPTAAS you'll need to scan and upload Part 3 of the IPTAAS Claim Form – PDF (completed by your specialist), with your online claim.