Text size


If you're involved in a retirement village dispute as a resident or owner/operator and you've been unable to resolve the issue privately, you can lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading and they'll act as an informal negotiator. There's no fee for this service.

NSW Fair Trading assists with minor disputes.

Disputes of a more serious nature are dealt with through the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

What you need

  • your name and contact details 
  • name and contact details of the resident or owner/operator you're complaining about
  • details of the retirement village involved
  • details of the dispute and your attempt to resolve the issue 
  • copies of any relevant documents such as condition reports, bank statements, photos
  • access to a printer and/or scanner (if applicable).

How to lodge

  1. Select the 'Lodge online' button.
  2. Gather the information and documents needed.
  3. Complete the online form.

If you don't wish to lodge online you can:

  1. Download and complete the Property Complaint Form – PDF.
  2. Gather your supporting documentation.
  3. Lodge your complaint by mail or email, to the details on the form.
Last updated: 6 November 2019
You'll be taken to another website.