Text size

If you’re running a food business, you'll need to meet food safety requirements in the Food Act 2003, Food Regulation 2015, and the Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code.

You'll also need to comply with safety standards, and labelling and licensing requirements, for your specific business sector. 

If you operate a retail food business that sells food to the public, you should check the specific requirements for your sector, including: 

  • cafes, restaurants and retail outlets
  • caterers
  • charities, groups and volunteers
  • children's services
  • home based and mixed businesses
  • importers
  • markets and temporary events
  • mobile food vendors
  • school canteens
  • seafood retailers
  • water carting. 

If you operate a business in the food industry, such as production, processing or transport, you should check the specific requirements for your sector. Industry sectors include: 

  • dairy
  • eggs
  • exporters
  • manufacturers and wholesalers
  • meat
  • plant products
  • seafood 
  • shellfish
  • vulnerable persons. 

Visit the NSW Food Authority website to get started.

Last updated: 10 November 2022
You'll be taken to another website.