There are 3 steps to registering a new co-operative:
- Get approval of the name, draft rules and disclosure statement.
- Hold a formation meeting to formally adopt the rules and present the disclosure statement (if applicable) to prospective members.
- Within 2 months of the formation meeting, submit an application to register the co-operative.
You can lodge the completed forms and supporting documents by email, mail, or in person at a service centre.
To be eligible for registration, a proposed co-operative must have:
- two-thirds of prospective members vote to adopt the rules at the formation meeting
- a membership of
- 2 or more co-operatives (if a co-operative group), or
- 5 or more active members (in the case of any other co-operative).
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit About co-operatives on the NSW Fair Trading website.
What you need
Step 1: Approval of name, rules and formation disclosure statement
- Application to approve co-operative name, rules and formation disclosure statement – PDF
- name of the proposed co-operative
- draft rules
- draft formation disclosure statement (if applicable).
Step 2: At the formation meeting
- at least 5 prospective members in attendance, and
- for signing:
- 2 copies of rules (approved by the Registrar)
- 1 copy of the disclosure if a distributing co-operative (approved by the Registrar)
- Application to Register a Co-operative form.
Step 3: Registering the co-operative
- Application to Register a Co-operative form
- registered office and postal addresses of the co-operative
- estimated financial details including share numbers and value, revenue, gross assets, and number of employees
- details of co-operative board members elected at the formation meeting
- 2 signed and certified copies of the rules
- 1 copy of signed and certified formation disclosure statement (if applicable).
How to register
- Complete and submit the Application to Approve Co-operative Name, Rules and Formation Disclosure Statement - PDF and supporting documents in person at a service centre, email to email@example.com or post to:
PO Box 22
Bathurst NSW 2795
- When approval from the Registrar has been received, prepare the documents and hold the formation meeting to approve the rules, elect the directors and authorise the application for registration of the co-operative.
- Submit the signed Application to Register a Co-operative form, rules and disclosure statement (if applicable), and application fee to Registry Services.
All members of a co-operative have equal status and voting rights.