If you’ve decided that a limited partnership business structure best suits your situation, you’ll need to register the limited partnership with NSW Fair Trading’s Registry Services. You can lodge your application by mail, or in person at a service centre.
To be registered in NSW, a limited partnership must have:
- at least 1 general partner (with a maximum of 20)
- at least 1 limited partner (there is no maximum number)
- a registered office in NSW (a post office box is not acceptable).
What you need
- the Application for registration of a Limited Partnership form – PDF
- the proposed name of the limited partnership
- registered office and postal addresses of the limited partnership
- name, address, date and place of birth, and signature of each partner
- the limit of liability amount for each Limited Partner.
How to register
- Download, complete and print the Application for registration of a Limited Partnership form – PDF.
- Submit your form and payment in person at a service centre, or post to:
PO Box 22
Bathurst NSW 2795
- a person may be admitted as a partner of the limited partnership without the need to get consent of any other limited partner
- once registered, you don't need to register a business name as long as you do business under the full registered limited partnership name
- a limited partnership has 2 types of partners:
- general partners – responsible for the day-to-day management of the business and debt liability is unlimited
- limited partners – passive investors; they play no role in managing the business and their liability for debts is limited to the amount of money contributed to the partnership.