With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


A Special Mobility Vehicle (SMV) is a three-wheeled vehicle that a person can operate from their wheelchair, such as a Nippi. 

If you have an SMV or a Nippi that can travel faster than 10km/h, you must register it as a three-wheeled motorcycle.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'
  • proof of your entitlement to register the vehicle such as a receipt or a notice of disposal
  • compulsory third party insurance (CTP), sometimes called a green slip
  • an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station certificate, sometimes called a blue slip.

How to register

  1. Download, print and complete the Application for Registration – PDF.
  2. Ensure you have all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and lodge your completed application.

More information

  • You don’t need to register any type of motorised wheelchair or specially constructed conveyance if they don’t travel faster than 10km/h.
  • If you wish to ride an SMV, you’ll also need to apply for an SMV learner rider's licence.