A Special Mobility Vehicle (SMV) is a three-wheeled vehicle that a person can operate from their wheelchair, such as a Nippi.
If you have an SMV or a Nippi that can travel faster than 10km/h, you must register it as a three-wheeled motorcycle.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'
- proof of your entitlement to register the vehicle such as a receipt or a notice of disposal
- compulsory third party insurance (CTP), sometimes called a green slip
- an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station certificate, sometimes called a blue slip.
How to register
- Download, print and complete the Application for Registration – PDF.
- Ensure you have all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and lodge your completed application.
- You don’t need to register any type of motorised wheelchair or specially constructed conveyance if they don’t travel faster than 10km/h.
- If you wish to ride an SMV, you’ll also need to apply for an SMV learner rider's licence.
Last updated: 6 November 2019