If you’re temporarily interstate or overseas and want to renew your driver or rider licence, providing you meet certain eligibility criteria, you can renew your licence online.
If you're unable to renew online or require the licence to be sent outside NSW, you'll need to complete a photo-kit form, and post it to the Photo Kit Unit.
Note: You can only use a photo-kit form for renewal once. The next time you need to renew, you'll have to visit a Service NSW Centre.
You can use a photo-kit form only if:
- you have never previously used the form for renewal
- you're living interstate or overseas temporarily, and:
- your licence is:
- current or expired fewer than 5 years ago
- not a temporary paper licence
- not suspended or cancelled.
What you need
- one of the following PDF forms:
- Photo-kit for a NSW Licensee Temporarily Interstate, or
- Photo-kit for a NSW Licensee Temporarily Overseas.
- colour passport size photograph as detailed on the form
- your proof of identity as detailed on the form
- your NSW residential address details
- an appropriate witness as specified on the form (if applicable)
- your driver/rider licence number
- photocopy of your concession card (if applicable)
- your payment.
How to renew
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Download and complete either:
- Ensure you have a witness to complete page 5 if:
- you can’t return your current NSW driver licence or one that expired within the last 2 years, or
- you've changed your name.
- Attach your supporting documents, and post your photo-kit application form with payment, to the address specified on the form.
- Your licence card will be posted to your NSW address unless you specifically ask for it to be sent to your temporary interstate or overseas address.
Note: Cards are sent by standard post.
- if you need to follow up on your application, contact the Photo Kit Unit directly via PhotoKitUnit@service.nsw.gov.au
- you can also obtain a photo-kit form by calling 1800 624 384, or +61 2 8894 1599 if you're overseas
- if your proof of identity document(s) are in an old name because of a name change, you must also provide a change of name document that has been witnessed and certified
- if you're overseas and need help, call us on +61 2 9132 2115 between 7.00am and 7.00pm, Monday to Friday, or email email@example.com.
- American Express
- Cheque/Money Order (made payable to Transport for NSW)
- Overseas bank draft in Australian currency (made payable to Transport for NSW, and endorsed by the issuing bank as payable at a nominated Australian bank).
Unfortunately, payments made with cash cannot be accepted.