The Firearms Registry will send you a notification advising you to lodge your renewal online when your licence is within 90 days of expiring.
You must lodge your renewal before the licence expiry date. This is necessary so that your authority to possess or use firearms under your current licence will continue, while your renewal is being processed.
If you want to delete a genuine reason and/or category from your current licence, you need to complete Delete a Firearm Category or Genuine Reason during Licence Reapplication – PDF before you renew.
The Firearms Registry will notify you when the change/s have been made and you can then go ahead with your renewal.
If your firearms licence is due to expire within the next 5 working days, it's recommended that you contact the Firearms Registry before you request any changes.
You must be a resident of NSW and:
- hold a current NSW individual firearms licence that is within 90 days of expiring, or
- have received your notification from the Firearms Registry advising you to lodge your licence renewal online
- have completed any changes to your current licence and received confirmation from the Firearms Registry that the changes have been processed. Changes could include:
- adding or deleting a genuine reason or category
- being approved for a fee exemption as a pensioner or primary producer.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account linked to the NSW Police Force
- your current firearms licence number (located on the front of your licence)
- details of the address/s where you'll safely store your firearms
- documentation to support your genuine reason/category (if applicable)
- a copy of your current pensioner card (if you've been approved for a fee exemption)
- a current credit card for your payment (if applicable).
How to renew
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the ‘Renew online’ button.
- Log into, or sign up for, your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Link your MyServiceNSW Account to the NSW Police Force.
- Complete the online renewal form.
- Upload your supporting documentation (if requested).
- Enter your payment details.
- Read and confirm the declaration.
- Review and submit your renewal.
- Lodging your renewal before your current licence expires ensures that your authority to possess and use firearms under your current licence will continue, while your renewal is being processed.
- If your renewal is approved, you'll receive a Photograph Advice letter requesting you to attend a service centre to have your photo taken. Make sure you do this before your Photograph Advice expires.
- Approved fee exemptions are automatically applied during the online renewal process.
- To be eligible for fee exemption, pensioners must hold a Centrelink Pension Card or Veterans' Affairs Çard (including concession and health care cards) and be applying for an A,B or H firearms licence only.
- If you believe you're now eligible for fee exemption as a pensioner, you'll need to apply for approval from the Firearms Registry before you lodge your renewal.
Email email@example.com with a copy of your valid pension card, and if approved you'll receive an email confirming that your licence has been updated.
You can then go ahead with your online renewal.