You must lodge your online renewal application before the licence expiry date. This is necessary so that your authority to possess or use firearms under your current licence will continue, while your renewal is being processed.
The Firearms Registry will send you a letter when your licence is within 90 days of expiring. They will send you a second letter within 30 days of your licence expiring. If you haven't renewed it within 7 days of its expiry date, they will send you an SMS reminder or contact you by phone.
Changes to your current licence must be made before you renew.
- If you want to add a genuine reason and/or category:
- If you want to delete a genuine reason and/or category:
- complete Delete a Firearm Category or Genuine Reason during Licence Reapplication – PDF and email it to email@example.com.
- If your renewal application is for an A, B, or H firearms licence only, and your pensioner status has changed and you'd like approval for a fee exemption:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your valid pension card
The Firearms Registry will email you when the change(s) have been made, and/or approval has been given, and you can then go ahead with your renewal.
If your firearms licence is due to expire within the next 5 working days, and you want to add or delete a category, it's recommended that you contact the Firearms Registry on 1300 362 562 before you request any changes.
You must be a resident of NSW and:
- hold a current NSW individual firearms licence that is within 90 days of expiring, or
- have received your notification from the Firearms Registry advising you to lodge your licence renewal online
- have completed any changes to your current licence and received confirmation from the Firearms Registry that the changes have been processed. Changes could include:
- adding or deleting a genuine reason or category
- being approved for a fee exemption as a pensioner or primary producer.
What you need
- proof of identity documents such as your driver licence and Medicare card
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your current firearms licence number (located on the front of your licence)
- details of the address/s where you'll safely store your firearms (if applicable)
- documentation to support your genuine reason/category (if applicable)
- a current credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for your payment, or
- a copy of your current pensioner card (if you've been approved for a fee exemption).
How to renew
- Select the 'Renew online' button.
- You will be taken to the NSW Police Force Community Self Service Portal.
- Check that you have all the documentation required.
- Select 'Log in with Service NSW'.
- Follow the prompts to complete your renewal application.
Due to the restrictions on movement and social distancing due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), some requirements relating to firearms and prohibited weapons licensing may be difficult for a person to meet.
For more information visit COVID 19 Firearms Registry Response.