If you have a transport concession entitlement card and need to renew it, you can do this online up to 30 days before it expires, providing you still meet the eligibility criteria.
What you'll need
- student ID or TAFE NSW Tertiary Student Learner Number
- your institution's name (if applicable).
How to renew
- Select the 'Renew online' button.
- Select the entitlement type.
- Enter your student ID number and your institution's name (if applicable).
- Select 'Find'.
- Complete the online application.
You must be residing permanently in NSW, and:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- enrolled in an Australian Qualifications Framework, accredited higher education or vocational education and training course
- a full-time student enrolled on an internal basis (except where a person, by reason of disability, is enrolled on a part-time basis and/or on an external basis).
International students on an Endeavour Scholarship, an Australian Awards Scholarship, or an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, are also eligible.
Things to keep in mind...
- You can also renew your transport concession entitlement card after it expires, but you'll need to travel on a full adult fare until your new card arrives.
The transport concession entitlement card:
- is free, and valid for up to 15 months as long you’re still eligible. You'll need to renew it by 31 March each year.
- is specific to one institution. If you change institutions, you'll need to apply for another card.
- entitles you to concession fares on regular local bus services outside the Opal network – check with your Local Transport Operators to find out if you're entitled to concession fares on privately-operated local bus services.
- together with your concession Opal card entitles you to a concession Sydney Airport station access fee
- does not entitle you to concession fares on fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, charter bus services or Great Southern Rail services.